Resume Core Strengths and Key Competencies = Competitive Advantage
Core Strengths = Competitive Advantage
I tell every job seeker that they should seriously consider a core strengths/competencies section (a.k.a. keyword heaven). A professional resume writer can create a dynamic and powerful core strengths section based on the best industry specific keywords for your career goal. However, if you choose to go it on your own here are a few pointers to remember.
1. Keep it short. No more than 1 or 2 words for each bullet point. Putting three or more words crowds the section and loses the effect.
2. Choose the right words. You want industry specific keywords for the job you are TARGETING not neccesarily the positions you’ve performed. Obviously you do not want to lie on your resume but if you dig deep enough you can find hidden gems which leads me to my next point.
3. Research, research, research. Look for similarities between what you’ve done and what you want to do. If you want to do the same thing then you’re all set, just choose the best keywords for the position you’re pursuing, but if you are career changing think about those words and skills that are transferable but still powerful and relevant to the position you want.
Choosing the right keywords, skills, and strengths to put in your core competencies section will catch the reader’s eye and also that computer software program that is scanning your resume. Double bonus = competitive advantage.
Thinking to yourself you do not even know what a core strengths section looks like or where to begin to write one? View expert resume samples to see for yourself.
Jessica Holbrook is a former Hiring Manager and a professional resume writer with Great Resumes Fast. She creates powerful, customized, and targeted resumes that are guaranteed to get her clients interviews. For a free resume analysis visit http://www.greatresumesfast.com or for a free phone consultation call 1.800.991.5187.
Latest posts by Jessica Holbrook Hernandez (see all)
- Job Search Advice Roundup: 5 Must-Read Articles for Your Job Search - August 28, 2014
- 10 Interview Advice Articles You Can’t Afford to Miss - August 26, 2014
- 6 Tips for a Visually Engaging CEO Resume - August 21, 2014